Actress Sienna Miller told a media ethics inquiry Thursday that she was left paranoid and scared by years of relentless tabloid pursuit that ranged from paparazzi outside her house to the hacking of her mobile phone.
Miller said the surveillance, and a stream of personal stories about her in the tabloids, led her to accuse friends and family of leaking information to the media. In fact, her cell phone voice mails had been hacked at Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World tabloid.
Miller, 29, became a tabloid staple when she dated fellow actor Jude Law. She said the constant scrutiny left her feeling “very violated and very paranoid and anxious, constantly.”
I felt like I was living in some sort of video game. For a number of years I was relentlessly pursued by 10 to 15 men, almost daily,” she said. I would often find myself, at the age of 21, at midnight, running down a dark street on my own with 10 men chasing me. And the fact they had cameras in their hands made that legal.
I was very nervous about taking on an empire that was richer and far more powerful than I will ever be. It was very daunting. She said.
In August, former British army intelligence officer Ian Hurst filed a civil suit against the News of the World, alleging he had been a victim of computer hacking by the tabloid. Mr. Hurst, who had dealt with Irish Republican Army informers in Northern Ireland, alleges in the suit that the tabloid directed two private investigators to intercept his emails.
During her testimony, Ms. Miller also discussed another British tabloid, The Mirror, which is owned by Trinity Mirror PLC. The actress talked about attending an event for a charity that helps seriously ill children and at one point, playing with a sick boy. The boy pretended to shoot her, and she pretended to die.